Legal writing – one of the skills law students begin to practice as soon as they start a law school – is a skill requiring continuous practice. Check out the Pace Law Library’s collection of resources offering legal composition and legal writing guidance.
- Peter Butt, Modern Legal Drafting: A Guide to Using Clearer Language (3d ed. 2013).
- Teresa J. Reid Rambo & Leanne J. Pflaum, Legal Writing by Design: A Guide to Great Briefs and Memos (2d ed. 2013).
- Helene S. Shapo & Marilyn R. Walter & Elizabeth Fajans, Writing and Analysis in the Law (6th ed. 2013).
- Ruggero J. Aldisert, Opinion Writing (3d ed. 2012).
- Jessica L. Clark, Scholarly Writing: Ideas, Examples, and Execution (2d ed. 2012).
- Margaret Z. Johns, Professional Writing for Lawyers: Skills and Responsibilities (2d ed. 2012).
- Joseph Kimble, Writing for Dollars, Writing to Please: The Case for Plain Language in Business, Government, and Law (2012).
- Jayne Kracker, ABA Basic Guide to Punctuation, Grammar, Workplace, Productivity, and Time Management (2012).
- Nadia E. Nedzel, Legal Reasoning, Research, and Writing for International Graduate Students (3d ed. 2012).
- Steven D. Stark, Writing to Win: The Legal Writer (2012).
- Marie Buckley, The Lawyer’s Essential Guide to Writing: Proven Tools and Techniques (2011).
- Charles R. Calleros, Legal Method and Writing (6th ed. 2011).
- Lenne Eidson Espenschied, The Grammar and Writing Handbook for Lawyers (2011).
- Elizabeth Fajans, Scholarly Writing for Law Students: Seminar Papers, Law Review Notes and Law Review Competition Papers (4th ed. 2011).
- Judith D. Fischer, Pleasing the Court: Writing Ethical and Effective Briefs (2d ed. 2011).
- Ross Guberman, Point Made: How to Write Like the Nation’s Top Advocates (2011).
- Terri LeClercq & Karin Mika, Guide to Legal Writing Style (5th ed. 2011).
- Richard K. Neumann, Jr. & Sheila Simon, Legal Writing (2d ed. 2011).
- Terrill Pollman et al., Legal Writing (2011).
- Laurel Currie Oates & Anne Enquist, Just Memos (3d ed. 2011).
- Sandra Jean Oster, Writing Shorter Legal Documents: Strategies for Faster and Better Editing (2011).
- Robin Wellford Slocum, Legal Reasoning, Writing and Other Lawyering Skills (3d ed. 2011).
- Matthew Butterick, Typography for Lawyers (2010).
- John C. Dernbach et al., A Practical Guide to Legal Writing and Legal Method (4th ed. 2010).
- Linda Holdeman Edwards, Legal Writing: Process, Analysis, and Organization (5th ed. 2010).
- Lenne Eidson Espenschied, Contract Drafting: Powerful Prose in Transactional Practice (2010).
- Laurel Currie Oates & Anne Enquist, The Legal Writing Handbook: Analysis, Research, and Writing (5th ed. 2010).
- Mary Barnard Ray, Legal Writing: Getting it Right and Getting it Written (5th ed. 2010).
- James C. Raymond, Writing for the Court (2010).
- Nancy L. Schultz, Legal Writing and Other Lawyering Skills (5th ed. 2010).
- Eugene Volokh, Academic Legal Writing: Law Review Articles, Student Notes, Seminar Papers, and Getting on Law Review (4th ed. 2010).
For additional assistance, you may consult the Guide to Legal Writing and Style subject guide compiled by Cynthia Pittson.