Law Technology News has advice on crafting more effective keyword searches for electronic data discovery. Several federal judges have noted the need for lawyers to consult expert guidance, and in previous blog posts we’ve written about the need think about your search terms.
The author identifies the following as key to successful keyword searches:
- start with the request for production;
- seek input from key players;
- look at what you’ve got and the tools you’ll use;
- communicate and collaborate;
- incorporate misspellings, variants, synonyms;
- filter and de-duplicate first;
- test, test, test!;
- review the hits;
- tweak the queries and retest; and
- check the discards.